Saturday | 21 February 2026 | Reg No- 06
Bangla
   
Bangla | Saturday | 21 February 2026 | Epaper
BREAKING: BNP pays tributes to language martyrs      Jamaat Ameer pays homage to language martyrs at Shaheed Minar      President, PM pay tribute to language martyrs at Shaheed Minar      Bangladesh A reaches final defeating Pakistan      US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's global tariffs      Tigers to return to int'l cricket after 3-month hiatus      Jamaat unveils new central committee with 38 women leaders      

Driven by Dhoni, Pakistan's X-factor tweaker Tariq targets India

Published : Saturday, 14 February, 2026 at 12:00 AM  Count : 262
COLOMBO, FEB 13: Pakistan's Usman Tariq left his cricket ambitions back home to start a salesman's job in Dubai, before a biopic about India great Mahendra Singh Dhoni changed his life.

The unusual bowling action of the double-jointed spinner has created plenty of chatter in his first T20 World Cup, and now he goes into Sunday's revived clash against India as one of Pakistan's main weapons.

His inspiration was born in India and Tariq admits if he had not watched the 2016 Bollywood movie "M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story" he might not be playing cricket today.

Based on the life of India's World Cup-winning captain, the movie told a tale of grit, rejection and eventual glory -- and made Tariq believe it was never too late to chase his ambition.

Tariq, now 30, left Dubai and roamed around the world to mature as a mystery spinner.

Pakistan skipper Salman Agha insisted Tariq will be a special weapon when his side face their arch-rivals, after being cleared to play after an Islamabad government U-turn after initially ordering a boycott of the India match.

"Tariq is our X-factor and a key weapon," Agha said ahead of the tournament after Pakistan had used him sparingly to protect his unique action.

Since making his international debut just three months ago, Tariq has taken 11 wickets in four T20 internationals including a hat-trick against Zimbabwe in Rawalpindi.

He grabbed a match-defining 3-27 against USA in Colombo on his World Cup debut this week.

Controversial action
The 28-year-old's bizarre bowling action was reported as illegal twice in the last two years, but was cleared by the International Cricket Council laboratory.

His action carries an element of mystery as he pauses exaggeratedly before releasing the ball in a sling-shot manner.

England's Tom Banton questioned Tariq's action in the United Arab Emirates T20 League last year.

Australia all-rounder Cameron Green mimicked Tariq's round-arm during the T20 series before the World Cup in Lahore, raising renewed doubts. �"AFP



LATEST NEWS
MOST READ
Also read
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000.
Phone: PABX- 41053001-06; Online: 41053014; Advertisement: 41053012.
E-mail: district@dailyobserverbd.com, news@dailyobserverbd.com, advertisement@dailyobserverbd.com, For Online Edition: mailobserverbd@gmail.com
🔝
close