Four people, including three members of a family, died being electrocuted at Mirpur in the capital on Thursday night.
The incident happened in front of Dhaka Commerce College at Mirpur. Locals said five people were injured from electrocution around 10pm. They were electrocuted while walking in water accumulated on road due to heavy rain in that area.
Later, they were rescued and taken to Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College and Hospital where doctors declared four of them dead.
Mirpur Police Station officer-in-charge Md Mohsin confirmed the matter.
He said three of the deceased belonged to the same family. They were Mizan, 30, hailed from Gopalganj's Kashiani upazila, his wife Mukta Begum, 25, and daughter Lima, 7. The couple's six-month-old son Hossain was admitted to Suhrawardy Hospital with serious injuries.
The OC said another youth named Mohammad Anik, 20, died after being electrocuted while trying to save the family. All of them were residents of Jhilpar area.
The bodies were kept at the hospital morgue, said Jashim Uddin Mollah, deputy commissioner of DMP.