Wednesday, 23 June, 2021, 3:49 PM
latest
Home Back Page

Delay in land acquisition hampers CCC canal digging

Published : Tuesday, 18 May, 2021 at 12:00 AM  Count : 147
Nurul Amin

CHATTOGRAM, May 17: Chattogram City Corporation (CCC) could not begin 2.9- km-long canal re-excavation project from Bahadderhat Baroipara to Karnaphuli River to free the port city from water-logging due to delay in land acquisition.
The CCC has already given Tk 911 crore to the district administration as compensation of land acquired for the project. But strangely, the district administration had failed to hand over the land to the CCC to begin project work.
A total of 9 acres of land are needed for the project. So, they have agreed to revise the project. The CCC has further revised the project for three times.
 Contacted, CCC Chief Engineer Rafiqul Islam said the government is providing Tk 915 crore, 75 per cent of the project cost. But the CCC will have to bear the rest 25 per cent of the total cost of Tk 1424 crore.
The project, which was scheduled to be completed by June 2021, is yet to begin. Rafiqul islam said, they have applied to extend the time to June 2023 for completion of the project.
He said the works will begin as soon as the lands for the project are handed over to CCC by the Cattogram district administration.
The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) approved the project on June 24 in 2014 at a cost of  Tk 289 crore. But, the CCC could not begin the project. So, they had applied to revise the project which was approved by ECNEC on November 7 in 2018 at a cost of Tk 1256 crore.
On January 28 in 2020, the then Mayor of Chattogram AJM Nasiruddin inaugurated the re-excavation programme. The mayor inaugurated the project work at Waiserpara under East Bakalia ward. The CCC senior officials and the Ward Councillors  concerned  were present. But, the works did not begin.
The CCC again applied to the Local Government and Rural Development (LGRD) Ministry to revise it in September last year.





« PreviousNext »



Latest News
Most Read News
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000. Phone: PABX 223353467, 223353481-2; Online: 9513959; Advertisement: 9513663.
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],   [ABOUT US]     [CONTACT US]   [AD RATE]   Developed & Maintenance by i2soft