Govt schools' lottery for admission on January 11
Published : Thursday, 31 December, 2020 at 8:06 PM Count : 271
The government will hold an online lottery for admission against vacant 77,260 seats from Class I to Class IX at the 683 government secondary schools across the country on January 11 following the High Court order.
In a circular on Thursday, Prof Dr Syed Md Golam Faruque, Director General of the Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education, also exempted the age-bar for admission following the High Court order.
Any applicant can apply between December 31 and January 7 for admission, said the circular, adding that the lottery scheduled for December 30 was suspended after the court order.
The HC bench of Justice JBM Hassan and Justice Md Khairul Alam earlier on Tuesday ordered the government to suspend the lottery schedule and to extend the admission application deadline for seven days within two working days.
The HC bench also issued a rule asking 11 respondents, including the Education Secretary, Primary Education Secretary and the DSHE DG, to explain within four weeks why the government's decision of not allowing students under 11-year to take admission in Class VI would not be declared illegal.
The court passed the order responding to a writ petition filed by a parent seeking a directive as his daughter, who is not yet 11, could not apply for admission in Class VI for the age bar set by the government.
Because of the age bar, many students could not apply, he said, adding that the HC ordered the government to declare a fresh schedule after withdrawing the age bar.
Director General Prof Dr Syed Md Golam Faruque said they set the age bar for admission as it had been practiced since the enactment of the Admission Policy 2017 by the Education Ministry in light of the National Education Policy.