Five patients burnt alive at United Hospital corona ward
Published : Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 at 11:21 PM Count : 462
Five coronavirus infected patients including an elderly woman burnt alive after a devastating fire broke out at United Hospital at Gulshan in Dhaka on Wednesday night.
The patients started screaming, crying and shouting for help to save their lives when the fire engulfed the makeshift isolation ward built with synthetic tents. But, no staff from the hospital approached to them to save their lives. All the five patients who were taking treatment at the isolation ward subsequently burnt alive.
Later, the hospital staff went to spot and took the bodies inside the hospital where those were covered with white clothes.
Witnesses said the fire broke out at about 9:15pm at the makeshift isolation ward at the United Hospital premises. There were no fire extinguishing system inside the isolation ward.
The United Hospital authorities called in Fire Service making phone call at about 9:55pm. Receiving information, three Fire Service units went to the hospital premises and doused the remaining fire at about 10:20pm spraying waters.
There were allegations that Fire Service made the delay in reaching the hospital premises. By that time, the fire destroyed the isolation ward completely along with five precious lives there.
It could not be clear how the fire had originated. Some said the fire had originated from an exploded air-conditioner, while some said the fire had originated after an explosion in a diesel-run generator kept standby inside the makeshift isolation ward.
Four of the deceased were male while one female who were undergoing treatment at the hospital. All the patients were under life support.
Three, out of five patients, tested coronavirus negative. They included a 70-year-old female patient. Her son admitted her to the hospital with coronavirus symptoms on Sunday. Following her death, her son received her coronavirus test report which revealed that she had tested coronavirus negative.
He also alleged widespread mismanagement of the hospital authorities and their unprercedented negligence toward the patients.
The United Hospital authorities mysteriously refused to talk to the media despite repeated requests following the incident of devastating fire.
It was learnt that the bodies of three patients who tested coronavirus negative would be handed over to their respective families for burial, while the rest two patients whp tested coronavirus positive would be buried at the designated graveyard following the guidelines of IEDCR.