Two die inhaling toxic gas in Joypurhat
Two people died and another was injured after inhaling toxic gas while removing bamboo poles from an under-construction septic tank at Shalaipur in Panchbibi upaizla on Monday.
The deceased were identified as Mohammad Ali, 40, of Shalaipur village in the upazila, and construction worker Naeem Hossain, 30.
Mansur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Panchbibi Police Station said Naim went inside the under-construction septic tank of the house of Mohammad Ali around 10:30am for removing bamboo poles. However, he fell unconscious inside the septic tank.
Getting no response from Naim, Mohammad Ali also went down the tank and fell unconscious, added the OC. Another worker Zakaria also fell sick while he went to save the duo.
On information, a team of Fire Service and Civil Defence went to the spot and rescued them.
Later, Naim and Mohammad were taken to Modern District Hospital where doctors declared them dead.
Zakaria is undergoing treatment at Zila Adhunik Hospital.