Sunday, 23 February, 2020, 12:35 AM
Home Back Page

Jubo League Leader Murder

Two Rohingya suspects killed in ‘shootout’

Published : Sunday, 25 August, 2019 at 12:00 AM  Count : 1220
Our Correspondent

COX's BAZAR, Aug 24: Two Rohingyas with alleged links to the killing of Teknaf Jubo League (JL) leader Omar Faruk were killed in a 'gunfight' with police in Teknaf upazila early Saturday.
The deceased were identified as Md Shah and Abdur Shukkur of Jadimura Rohingya Camp in the upazila.
Pradip Kumar Das, officer-in-charge (OC) of Teknaf Police Station, said a police team, acting on a tip-off, conducted a drive in an area beside Jadimura Hill where Rohingya criminals gathered around 1:30 am.
Sensing the presence of the policemen, Rohingya criminals opened fire, prompting the law enforcers to retaliate, the OC said.
As the Rohingya criminals retreated, police found two of the gang members lying with bullet injuries on the spot. The injured were admitted to Teknaf Upazila Health Complex and then shifted to Cox's Bazar Sadar Hospital where they succumbed to their injuries soon after admission.
Two sub-inspectors, Monsur and Jamal, and constable Liton were injured during the 'gunfight', the OC said, adding police recovered two LGs, nine cartridges of short gun and 12 bullet shells from the spot.
Jubo League leader Omar Faruk, 30, was shot dead allegedly by a gang of Rohingya criminals in Hnila union of Teknaf upazila on Thursday night.
Police recovered the bullet-hit body of Omar Faruk, 30, president of Hnila Union Parishad Jubo League, from Jadimura area around 12:30am on Friday, police said.
The murder sparked a massive demonstration in the area as locals blocked the Cox's Bazar-Teknaf highway for three hours from 10:00am on Friday protesting the murder. They also vandalised a Rohingya camp in Jadimura.
Victim's brother Amir Hamza said a gang of Rohingya criminals led by Md Selim and Nur Mohammad picked up Faruk from in front of his house around 10:30pm on Thursday. They then dragged him to a nearby hill and shot him dead, Amir said.
OC Pradip Kumar said they removed barricades from the road around 3:00pm on Friday and assured the agitating locals of arresting the killers and bringing them to justice.

« PreviousNext »

Latest News
Most Read News
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000. Phone :9586651-58. Online: 9513959, Advertisement: 9513663
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],   [ABOUT US]     [CONTACT US]   [AD RATE]   Developed & Maintenance by i2soft