Murray to skip US Open doubles to focus on singles
LONDON, AUG 16: Andy Murray is to skip the US Open later this month where he was scheduled to play doubles so as to get more singles matches under his belt, the former world number one old the BBC.
The 32-year-old Scotsman lost in straight sets to old foe Richard Gasquet earlier this week in Cincinnati in what was his first competitive singles match since undergoing 'life-changing surgery' on a hip in January.
The three-time Grand Slam champion has been playing plenty of doubles he won the Queen's title with Feliciano Lopez on his return to the circuit in June but said he had decided to give it a miss at the US Open which gets underway on August 26.
"I'm not going to play doubles at the US Open," Murray told BBC Sport. "My goal is to get back playing at the level that I want to on the singles court, and I've decided that I need to focus all my energies on that right now.
"The US Open, doubles and mixed, can be another couple of weeks that you are slowing things down. "Because I want matches, and that's what I need right now."
The two-time Olympic singles champion took up a wild card entry for Winston-Salem singles next week and then might compete at a Challenger tournament.
There is a Challenger event at Newhaven, Connecticut, in the second week of the US Open.
Along with Spanish veteran Lopez he will play his brother Jamie and partner Neil Skupski in the quarter-finals at Cincinatti on Friday, his last doubles appearance, at least for now. "I need to focus my mind on getting matches on the singles court. There aren't many tournaments between now and the end of the year." -AFP