Saturday, 4 July, 2020, 8:01 AM
latest
Home Foreign News

Saudi foils Houthi missiles ‘heading for Makkah’

Published : Wednesday, 22 May, 2019 at 12:00 AM  Count : 190

RIYADH, May 21: Saudi Arabia said on Monday that it had intercepted two missiles in Makkah province fired by Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis, who earlier denied having targeted Islam's holiest site.
The foiled strike comes at a time of heightened tensions between Tehran and Gulf Arab states and a roughly four-year conflict in Yemen largely seen as a proxy war between the two sides.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are leading a Western-backed coalition of Sunni Muslim states that intervened in Yemen in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government ousted from power in Sanaa by the Houthis in late 2014.
A Saudi coalition spokesman said, "Royal Saudi Defence Forces spotted aerial targets flying through restricted areas in the provinces of Jeddah and Taif and dealt with them as required by the situation," according to Saudi's state news agency SPA.
In a tweet, Saudi Arabia's embassy in Washington said the two missiles had been intercepted in Makkah province, which includes Jeddah and Taif.
Saudi-owned Al Arabiya TV, citing eyewitnesses, reported earlier on Monday that air defense forces had intercepted two ballistic missiles above the two western cities of Jeddah and Taif and said the first one had been directed toward Makkah, without providing evidence.
The Houthis denied that their missiles were targeting Makkah, a pilgrimage site roughly 70 km (40 miles)from Jeddah and 50 km (30 miles) from Taif. The group called the claim a tactic by Saudi Arabia to rally support for its war.
"The Saudi regime is trying, through these allegations, to rally support for its brutal aggression against our great Yemeni people," Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sarea said on Facebook.
More than two million Muslims from around the world make the annual haj pilgrimage to Makkah. Many also visit the city during the holy month of Ramadan, which is underway.
Riyadh has accused Iran of ordering last week's drone strikes on two oil pumping stations in the kingdom, for which the Houthis claimed responsibility. Tehran denied doing so.
Washington and Tehran have been sparring over sanctions and the U.S. military presence in the region, raising concerns about a potential conflict between the United States and Iran.
On Sunday, the Houthi-run SABA news agency said the group would start military operations against 300 vital military targets, including headquarters and facilities, in Saudi Arabia and the UAE and coalition targets inside Yemen.     -AFP











« PreviousNext »



Latest News
Most Read News
Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka.
Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000. Phone :9586651-58. Online: 9513959, 01552319639, Advertisement: 9513663
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],   [ABOUT US]     [CONTACT US]   [AD RATE]   Developed & Maintenance by i2soft