Protect your hair from pollution
When we think of the ill effects of pollution, the first thing we want to protect is our skin. But pollution can be equally harmful for the hair which needs equal protection.
Hare are 10 ways to help to protect your hair from air pollution:
1. Always cover your hair before stepping out into the sun. The outer cuticles of the hair are prone to extensive sun damage and this is one of the main causes for dullness and dryness. You can use this as an excuse to accessorize with a great hat or scarf.
2. Do not step out with oily or wet hair as these attract dust and dirt particles which will stick to your hair.
3. Tie your hair close to your head, preferably in a bun. But remember not too tie it too tightly and preferably use cloth scrunchies rather than hair-tugging bands.
4. Spray a hair sunscreen all over the hair and especially the tips to protect it from harmful UV rays. Sunscreen also helps hair retain its shine and texture.
5. Take a weekly hair steam preferably after the shampoo; this will open the pores of your scalp and thoroughly rid the hair of any deep rooted polluted particles.
6. Shampoo and condition your hair regularly to keep it clean from dirt-attracting oiliness. Use a shampoo and conditioner from the same line as these are formulated to solve the same problem.
7. Take a deep conditioning hair spa once a week to prevent dryness, strengthen hair strands and fill up on extra nutrients which make hair healthy.
8. Increase your protein intake by adding fish, leafy vegetables, nuts, yoghurt and fresh fruits in your diet.
9. Apply a homemade hair mask made from natural ingredients such as honey, yoghurt, strawberry and vinegar. Leave on for half an hour then wash off with lukewarm water.
10. Enlist the benefits of henna (mehendi) to cleanse your scalp of dirt without hampering its natural balance, unlike chemical based products.