49 dead in terrorist attack at two mosques
Published : Friday, 15 March, 2019 at 3:04 PM Count : 315
Forty-nine people were killed in shootings at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, according to New Zealand police commissioner.
Police commissioner, Mike Bush says the number of people killed has increased to 49 after one of the victims died in hospital.
A man has been charged with murder and will appear in court tomorrow.
Shots were fired at Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue in the center of the city, and at Linwood Mosque, about three miles away, the police said.
Officials said that one man in his late 20s had been charged with murder, and that two explosive devices were found attached to a vehicle that they had stopped, the Guardian reports.
Two others arrested at the scene with guns are being investigated. A fourth person arrested may have had nothing to do with the attack.
Several guns have been recovered from both mosques. Two explosive devices were found on two vehicles at the scene. One has been disabled.
Before the shooting starting, the Al Noor mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch was “peaceful, calm and quiet”.
“As it is when the sermon starts, you could hear a pin drop,” a man identified as Ramzan told reporters on Friday.
Then about 1.40pm during afternoon prayers, gunfire broke out.
“It started in the main room ... I was in the side room, so I didn’t see who was shooting but I saw that some people were running out to my room where I was in, I saw some people had blood on their body and some people were limping,” Ramzan told reporters.
“It was at the moment I realised things were really serious.”
Christchurch hospital is treating 48 people, including young children, for gunshot wounds, according to David Meates, Chief Executive, Canterbury District Health Board.
In a statement he said injuries range from critical to minor.