How to feat in BCS preliminary!
For some valid reasons, BCS has been a very lucrative aspect for the job aspirants. In recent times, Public Service Commission is maintaining regularity in arranging in BCS examinations every year. Moreover, the selection procedure is transparent. There is good news for the BCS examinees that the 40th BCS circular will be published in a few days with more than two thousand post vacancy announcement in different cadre. BCS examination takes place in three stages. First stage is the preliminary exam of 200 marks. This stage is considered to be the trickiest part of all three. Here are some key notes you need to take into consideration before taking preparation for BCS preliminary exam:
* Go through the question bank of previous years' questions and analyze them carefully. In this case, a Job Solution can help you a lot. Solving the question bank will give you an idea about the question pattern, important topics, most common questions that come repeatedly.
Now let's talk about subject wise preparation.
* For English, your vocabulary skill has to be inept. At the same time, candidates must have good knowledge about grammatical rules to secure a good score out of 20 marks in grammar part. 15 marks are allocated for English literature, the tough part for the students of other backgrounds other than English. Nevertheless, regular practice can make this task easier. Buy any book on BCS English from a bookstore and practice on a regular basis.
* In Bangla section, Bengali literature covers the most numbers in BCS preliminary. Lal Nil Dipaboli by Humayun Azad is a good suggested book to give an overall idea of the history of Bengali literature.
* In Bangladesh affairs, the candidates must have good knowledge regarding the history of Bangladesh. Recent affairs, the Constitution of Bangladesh, geography are some key aspects which cover most questions.
* In International Affairs part, important international treaties, international organizations (UN, SAARC, EU etc), capital and currency names, two world wars are some very important issues to drill in the memory. Candidates should be very selective in studying this part; they should not go for anything beyond the PSC syllabus.
* Most of the cases, Math and Mental Ability section determine whether one will cross the line of preliminary or not. Mathematics books of class 7-9 covers the syllabus. Mental ability does not need extra preparation; the preparation of this part can be taken simultaneously with the preparations of other subjects.
* Some asks me about the importance of doing coaching for BCS, I suggest, if you are focused and motivated by yourself, you do not require going there. I did not go any coaching either.
BCS is all about determination, courage and perseverance. If you believe you have all these three then go for it. The syllabus is quite deliberate, so candidates must be very careful regarding their approach. A well thought approach is the precondition to feat in the BCS examination.
The writer is an Assistant Commissioner and Executive Magistrate (36th BCS)