Two militants still at large
Two Years Into Holey Artisan Attack
Published : Sunday, 1 July, 2018 at 12:00 AM Count : 682
Two years into the attack on Holey Artisan Bakery in the capital's Gulshan, Law enforces are yet to arrest two militants directly involved in the incident that left 20 people dead.
The two absconding militants are Shariful Islam Khalid, military commander, and Mammunur Rashid Ripon. Sources in the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crimes (CTTC) unit, the investigation agency of the sensational militant attack, said the two militants might have fled the country.
The Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crimes (CTTC) unit have prepared a charge sheet against 22 people in the café attack case. Of them, 13 have been killed in 'gunfights', two absconding and seven arrested.
The July 1 attack in 2016 left 20 people, including 17 foreigners and two police officials, killed. The CTTC will submit the charge sheet within the next seven days.
Investigating sources said North South University teacher Hasnat Reza Karim's involvement in the Gulshan café attack could not be ascertained from his statement and Tahmid has already been relieved of the charge.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia on Tuesday said, "Investigation into the attack is almost done and the charge sheet will be submitted in 7-10 days,"
"Police need just two suspects to add to the charge sheet. We are trying to arrest the fugitives," he said, adding that the law enforcers will submit the charge sheet though they could not arrest the fugitives.
"We have laid utmost importance on finding out the real culprits so that no innocent people get punished," DMP chief said. "Many of the accused have been killed in gunfights, many are under arrest and some are absconding," The DMP boss said.
So far, seven people, including Hasnat Reza Karim, have been arrested over the incident. Among them, six suspected militants confessed to their involvement in the attack. The other motives of the attackers, found during the investigation, were to embarrass and oust the present government, the counter terrorism chief claimed.
The CTTC sources said they have found the involvement of 22 people in the country's worst-ever terrorist attack. Four of the suspects are in jail and five are on the run.
Two other accused-Tamim Ahmed and Sarwar Jahan, who played a vital role in carrying out the barbaric attack---were also killed in anti-militancy raids conducted in the aftermath of the attack on Holey Artisan Bakery.
The café attack planners and attackers, who have been killed in anti-terror raids, include Tamim Ahmed Chowdhury, Nurul Islam Marjan, Sarwar Jahan, Tanvir Kaderi, Maj (retd) Jahid, Maynul Islam alias Musa, Basharuzzaman Chocolate, Mizanur Rahman alias Chhoto Mizan Tarek, Abdullah and Faridul Islam Akash.
Five armed militants swooped on the Holey Artisan Bakery and carried out the massacre. They were killed in an army commando raid the next morning. They were Nibras Islam, Rohan Imtiaz, Meer Sabeh Mubasheer, Khairul Islam Payel and Shafiqul Islam Uzzal.
Most of the "Neo JMB" leaders, who planned and coordinated the attack, were killed in different raids.
Suspects arrested in the case include Jahangir Alam alias Rajib Gandhi, arms supplier Sohel Mahfuz Mizanur Rahman alias Boro Mizan and Rakibul Hasan alias Rigan, Rashed alias Rash, Hadisur Rahman Sagor, and Akram Hossain Khan Niloy.