200 houses, furniture showroom burnt
Published : Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 at 12:00 AM Count : 250
CHITTAGONG, Feb 19: A total of 200 houses and a furniture showroom were burnt in Mihkhan Nagar area under Bakalia Thana and AK Khan Area under Akbar Shah Thana respectively on Monday morning.
Kamal Uddin Bhuiyah, Assistant Director of Divisional Office of Chittagong, confirmed the news to the reporters.
He said a fire originated from short circuit in a house that soon gulfed adjoining houses and burnt 200 residences at around 5:15am.
Eight firefighting teams form Lama Bazar, Nandankanan and Chandanan Pura Fire Stations rushed to the spot and doused the fire after two hours' efforts.
Firemen estimated worth Tk 8 lakh damages.
In another fire incident, a furniture showroom named 'Metalion' was burnt on Sunday midnight.
Firemen could not estimate the total value of damage, Kamal added.