* Austria is officially called the Republic of Austria. Austria is a landlocked country bordered by 8 countries, with a land area of 83,855 km? (32,377 mi?), and with a population of over 8 million.
* German is the official language of Austria and is spoken by over 88% of the population.
* Vienna is the capital and largest city of Austria, with a population over 1.7 million.
* Austria is a mountainous country due to its location in the Alps, two-thirds of the country sits over 500m above sea level.
* Austria was one of the great powers of Europe under the Habsburg ruled Austro-Hungarian Empire.
* In 1938, Austria was incorporated into Nazi Germany and ceased to exist as an independent country until 1955 when it officially became independent again.
* As of 2013, Austria has 20 Nobel Prize laureates including seven in Physiology or Medicine, five in Chemistry, three in Physics.
* Austria is home to some of the most famous classical music composers the world has ever seen including Joseph Haydn, Franz Liszt, Franz Schubert, Anton Bruckner, Johann Strauss and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
* Many famous scientists have come from Austria, including Ernst Mach, Christian Doppler and the famous psychologist Sigmund Freud.