Space For Rent
Saturday, November 14, 2015, Kartik 30, 1422 BS, Safar 1, 1437 Hijri


Metro Rail construction starts in 2017
Shamsul Huda
Published :Saturday, 14 November, 2015,  Time : 12:00 AM  View Count : 21
The first Metro Rail project's main construction work will start in early 2017 and contract signing for Depot Land Development is set for 2016, officials said.
Ongoing progress of soil tests and utility services identifications have already been completed by 70 per cent from Uttara to Bangladesh Bank and after identification its removal process will start next year.
Mufazzal Hossain, director of the Mass Rapid Transit Development (Metro Rail, Line-6) project said, utility removal and its bypassing will take some time.
He said, "We hope to start the main heavy construction works in early 2017 and within this time we will float tenders for the project in six individual sections."
In tendering process they will seek documents from international companies as there is no local experience in constructing elevated tracts for metro rail.
According to the project official the individual sections for floating tenders are Rolling Stock Procurement, Elevated Superstructures and Mechanical Parts, Depot Land Development, Depot Structure and construction of Viaducts for twenty kilometres and infrastructures for 16 stations.
The first tender would be floated for Rolling Stock Procurement as it takes at least two years' time to manufacture after giving orders.
The 20-kilometre-long Metro Rail at the costs of Tk22,000 crore (as per DPP) will start from Uttara and will end at Bangladesh Bank in Motijheel via 16 stations.
The proposed stations are from Depot to Uttara North, Uttara Centre, Uttara South, Pallabi, Mirpur-11, Mirpur-10, Kazipara, Sheurapara, Agargaon, Bijoy Sarani, Farmgate, Karwan Bazar, Shahbag, TSC, Press Club and Motijheel.
As per the detailed project planning the Metro Rail in pick time would transport 60, 000 passengers per hour and its proposed speed have been estimated at 100 kilometers per hour.
The project's construction duration is till 2024 but the project director hopes by 2019 they will be able to complete 50 per cent and by 2020 cent per cent.
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) will fund 75 per cent of the costs and Bangladesh will bear the rest 25 per cent.
The Metro Rail travel time from Uttata to Motijheel-Bangladesh Bank will be 37 minutes including stoppages at 16 stations.
The Japan- based GC consulting firm is primarily working for its route alignment, soil tests, Geotechnical survey, utility services identification and its removal process.
The Metro Rail would be run by electricity, for which cable would be set up in the elevated superstructure.
The first ever high speed elevated metro rail transport in Bangladesh is likely to ease the increasing traffic in the capital and contribute to the more economic development.
Dhaka Transport Coordination Authority under Roads and Highways department of the Communication Ministry is implementing the project.









Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka. Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000. Phone :9586651-58. Fax: 9586659-60, Advertisemnet: 9513663, E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]