Space For Rent

Space For Rent
Friday, July 25, 2014, Sraban 10, 1421, Ramadan 26, 1435 Hijr


Gaza death toll reaches 828 as Israel's genocide continues
Observer Online Desk
Publish Date : 2014-07-25,  Publish Time : 21:14,  View Count : 299
Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip Friday killed a top Hamas commander, two of his sons and a pregnant woman among others, taking the Palestinian toll to 828, as the 18-day conflict spread to the West Bank where largest anti-Israel protests in years turned violent.

A spokesman for the Palestinian health ministry in Gaza, Ashraf al-Qidra, confirmed the figures adding that over 5,240 people had also been injured in Israeli attacks since July 8.

Islamic Jihad senior leader Salah Hasanein and his sons, 12 and 15, were killed in the strike in the southern city of Rafah, Gaza emergency services officials said. Hasnin was the head of Islamic Jihad's spokesman division in Rafah.

Another raid killed a 23-year-old pregnant woman in the central Gaza town of Deir al-Balah after her house was hit. However, surgeons saved the life of the woman's unborn child.

Hamas' military wing claimed it fired three rockets targeting Israel's Ben Gurion International airport.

Meanwhile, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) announced that a solider serving in the Bahad 1 brigade was killed in battle early this morning in the north of Gaza Strip taking the death toll of Israeli soldiers to 33.

Two Israeli civilians and a Thai worker in Israel have also been killed in the conflict so far. Another soldier remains missing, but is presumed dead by the IDF.

Israeli forces were put on high alert for possible clashes in Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem during Friday prayers marking the final stretch of the month of Ramadan.

Meanwhile, the violence also spread to the West Bank with four Palestinian protesters being killed and several others injured in clashes with Israeli police in the last 24 hours.

Protests were also held in Ramallah, Nablus, Bethlehem and Jerusalem neighbourhoods.

One protester was killed Friday by Israeli soldiers near the southern city of Hebron, while Israeli settlers fired on a group of Palestinians, killing one person in Nablus.

Israeli offesive overnight killed 42 Palestinians, as international efforts for a ceasefire intensified after 17 Palestinians died and 200 others injured in an Israeli strike on a UN-run school in Hamas-ruled northern Gaza yesterday.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack, which came hours after the agency had warned that Israel's actions in the Gaza could constitute war crimes.

Ban Friday called for an immediate "humanitarian pause" lasting through the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr.

"On this, the last Friday of Ramadan, I call for an immediate, unconditional humanitarian pause in the fighting in Gaza and Israel. This pause would last through the Eid al-Fitr holiday period," Ban said in a statement.

The UN chief's appeal came after several meetings with US Secretary of State John Kerry and Egyptian and Qatari officials aimed at ending the bloodshed.

Kerry, who Thursday left for Cairo, has reached out to Turkey and Qatar in efforts to seek a solution to end the war.

According to the UN, more than 118,000 people are now sheltering in UN schools and people are running out of food.

In a statement, Israeli Premier Benjamin Netanyahu said he regretted each Palestinian civilian death, but said they were "the responsibility of Hamas".

Internet/ZA













Editor : Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury
Published by the Editor on behalf of the Observer Ltd. from Globe Printers, 24/A, New Eskaton Road, Ramna, Dhaka. Editorial, News and Commercial Offices : Aziz Bhaban (2nd floor), 93, Motijheel C/A, Dhaka-1000. Phone :9586651-58. Fax: 9586659-60, Advertisemnet: 9513663, E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]