Bangladeshi origin youth arrested over British PM assassination plot
Published : Wednesday, 6 December, 2017 at 10:58 PM Count : 546
Two young men were produced in a London court on Wednesday who were arrested last week on charge of hatching plot to assassinate British Prime Minister Theresa May.
The arrested, Naa'imur Zakariyah Rahman, 20, a resident of London, described himself in court as Pakistani British, and Mohammed Aqib Imran, 21, from Birmingham, said he was Bangladeshi British, reports CNN.
CNN adds: According to court documents, Rahman planned to detonate an explosive device at the gates of Downing Street and then seek to gain access to No. 10 -- May's official residence -- "in the ensuing chaos with a view to trying to kill the Prime Minister."
"The secondary attack on No. 10 was to be carried out with a suicide vest, pepper spray and a knife," the document said.
Rahman had carried out a "hostile reconnaissance" of the area as part of his preparations. In several recorded conversations, he revealed his plan to "attack, kill and cause explosions", according to the allegations.
In a related allegation, Imran is accused of trying to obtain a fake passport in order to leave the UK and travel to Libya.
On his arrest, Imran was found in possession of a short video recorded by Rahman "who was sponsoring Imran in order to assist him to enter Islamic State and fight," according to the allegations.
Rahman allegedly made the video in November "with the expectation of becoming a martyr." The recording would have given Imran greater credibility with the terrorist organization, the document said.
Lawyers for both Rahman and Imran entered "no indication" as the suspects' plea, meaning that the case continues as if they had pleaded "not guilty."
Both suspects have been remanded in custody without bail and will next appear in court on December 20.
The news of the arrests emerged just a few hours after the publication of an official security review, which said that 20 Islamist-inspired terrorist plots had been "disrupted" since October 2013, seven of them since the end of March this year.
The UK terror threat from Islamist terrorists is operating "at a scale and pace we've not seen before," said Andrew Parker, director general of MI5, in a speech in October.
He warned that "the challenge that we face is undoubtedly a stark one. More threat, coming at us more quickly, and sometimes harder to detect. But it is a challenge that we and our partners are rising to and are facing down."