l June plum half ripe - 6
l Salt - ? tsp
l Whole cumin - ? tsp
l Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves, crushed
l Curry powder - 2 tsp
l Oil - 3 tsp
l Brown sugar - 1 cup (more if you think it needs it)
l Dry pepper - 1 sliced (with or without seeds - depending on how you like it)
1. Wash fruits (no need to peel) and use a sharp knife to cut in quarters.
2. Heat IN deep pot and add cumin seeds until fragrant. Add oil, garlic and dry pepper and reduce heat to medium.
3. Add fruit quarters and stir well for a few minutes. Cover (to allow fruit to steam) tightly and reduce heat to medium low.
4. Continue to cook covered, stirring every five minutes or so to make sure it doesn't burn.
5. Sprinkle salt, and curry powder and stir well when the fruit are starting to soften. If the fruit is dry and sticking to bottom of pot, add half cup of water, and continue to cook at medium to low heat, covered, stirring frequently.
6. You may have to cook like this for about 40 minutes. Try not to add too much water to make it soupy.
7. When the fruit is soft, add sugar and stir well. Continue to cook for another 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar is well-absorbed and the mixture is chutney-like.
8. Remove from heat and cool before serving. You can store in the refrigerator for a few days.